Raw Banana Pudding with Walnuts

by Sheryl Dagostino on April 22, 2013

I’m experimenting with yummy desserts that have no refined sugars or gluten in them.  Can you guess why?

Well, I love dessert!

Dessert is just necessary sometimes and since I’ve been gluten-free and refined-sugar-free for over a month, I am finding new ways to create delicious, satisfying and healthy desserts for myself and my family.  That’s the ticket – if I can satisfy the big boys, I’m golden!

I am further inspired to experiment with raw foods.  We will be lucky come July when Stacy Stowers comes to live with us for a week while she guides us and teaches us all about raw, gluten-free and dairy-free eating.  I’ll share more about all of those things at another time, in another post, because right now it’s time for dessert!

banana pudding

This recipe makes 3 perfect servings. Adjust as needed for more. You really won’t want less…

1 can of organic whole coconut milk: open and scoop the thick coconut cream out and put in a glass container in the fridge for 1/2 hour or longer (it will harden a bit)
2 organic bananas
1 tablespoon organic maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon organic vanilla
1/4 teaspoon organic cinnamon
Handful of raw organic walnuts

Take coconut cream out of fridge and scoop into a bigger bowl. Mash one banana and add to coconut cream. Add maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon. Mix with a spoon until all is combined and smooth and creamy.

Slice the 2nd banana into thin slices. Layer 4-5 slices of banana in bottom of dish, then a few walnuts. cover with some pudding. repeat. Add slice of banana & walnut on top. Consume immediately or leave out covered at room temperature for up to 1 hour. If you must refrigerate for several hours, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to soften before serving.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Mikki April 29, 2013 at 4:20 am

This could almost pass as breakfast. Yum.

Sheryl Dagostino April 29, 2013 at 8:14 am

I agree Mikki! The pudding would be a great base for a raw porridge. Just add various other dried and fresh chopped fruits, nuts, and maybe some raw cacao nibs if you are feeling it!

becky muotka April 29, 2013 at 6:33 pm

is it a large can of coconut milk

Sheryl Dagostino May 3, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Hi Becky -
I used a 13.5 oz of Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk. Hope you enjoy the recipe as much as my family and I did!

Heather May 24, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Sheryl,
I made this for dessert tonight, for my daughter who is allergic to gluten and dairy, and it was a big hit with everyone. Thank you for the recipe!
What do you recommend I do with the coconut milk that is left over after I scooped out the cream?

Heather

Sheryl Dagostino May 24, 2013 at 9:54 pm

That’s super Heather! So glad it was a hit! I’m lucky enough to have my little guy to give the rest of the coconut milk to, but I’ve also just added it in to any smoothie I might be making. If you are making any rice, you can use the milk as part or all of the liquid (coconut rice). It will last a few days in a glass jar in the fridge. Of course, you could also just drink it up straight!